Strawberry Tossed Salad
Meet the Cook: One reason I particularly like this recipe is that it's so versatile. I've served the salad with poultry, ham and pork all throughout the year and even used it to add color to the table at Christmas. Recently, when I brought this for a dinner at church, one lady asked if she could take home the little that was left for her husband's lunch the next day - and he very rarely eats salad
6-8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Pinch white pepper
- 8 cups torn romaine
- 4 cups torn Bibb or Boston lettuce
- 2-1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- Combine the first seven ingredients in a jar with tight-fitting lid;
- shake well. Just before serving, toss the salad greens,
- strawberries, cheese and walnuts in a large salad bowl. Drizzle with
- dressing and toss. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1-1/2 cups) equals 281 calories, 23 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 156 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g protein.