Strawberry Sundae Sauce
“My husband and kids simply love this recipe over their ice cream! It may also be used in banana splits. If you choose not to use liqueur, replace 1-1/2 cups of the mashed strawberries with 1-1/2 cups mashed raspberries instead.” Peggy Townsend - Florence, Colorado
32 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + standing
- 2 quarts fresh strawberries
- 6 cups sugar
- 1 pouch (3 ounces) liquid fruit pectin
- 1/3 cup chocolate syrup
- 1/3 cup raspberry liqueur, optional
- Vanilla ice cream
- Wash and mash strawberries, measuring out enough mashed berries to
- make 4 cups. In a Dutch oven, combine strawberries and sugar. Bring
- to a full rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in
- pectin. Boil 1 minute longer, stirring constantly. Remove from the
- heat. Stir in syrup and liqueur if desired. Skim off foam.
- Pour into jars or freezer containers, leaving a 1/2-in. headspace.
- Cool to room temperature, about 1 hour. Cover and let stand
- overnight or until set. Refrigerate for up to 3 weeks or freeze for
- up to 1 year. Serve with ice cream. Yield: 8 cups.
Nutrition Facts: 1/4 cup (calculated without liqueur and ice cream) equals 174 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 3 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, trace protein.