This strawberry-spinach salad makes a wonderful light summer meal. The ingredients are an unusual combination, but all of the flavors and colors complement one another very nicely. Farmers here in Washington grow a lot of strawberries, and they're the sweetest ones I've ever tasted. I'm always looking for new and different ways to use them.
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh spinach
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced green onion
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, washed, hulled & halved
- In a 7-in. skillet over medium heat, stir sesame seeds until golden;
- set aside. Wash spinach thoroughly; dry on paper towels and tear
- into bite-size pieces. Wrap and chill. Blend oil, vinegar, sugar,
- onion, paprika and Worcestershire sauce. In large glass bowl, mix
- together spinach, strawberries, dressing and seeds. Yield: 8
Nutrition Facts:Diabetic Exchanges: One serving equals 1-1/2 vegetable, 2 fat; also 133 calories, 66 mg sodium, 0 cholesterol, 9 gm carbohydrate, 4 gm protein, 11 gm fat.