Strawberry Rhubarb Trifle
Guests are sure to "think spring" when they see and taste this delectable trifle from field editor Wendy Dowling of Port Moulton, Nova Scotia.
12-14 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3 cups whole milk
- 5 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 prepared angel food cake (8 to 10 ounces), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and milk until
- smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and
- bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the
- Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the
- pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2
- minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in vanilla.
- Transfer to a large bowl. Cool to room temperature without stirring.