Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce
A neighbor shared the recipe for this wonderful fruit sauce with me. It's a great way to use up a bumper crop of rhubarb. We like it over ice cream, pancakes and even fresh, hot biscuits. —Nancy Cowlishaw, Boise, Idaho
18 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 4-1/4 hours
- 6 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 3 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, halved
- Vanilla ice cream
- Place the rhubarb, sugar, juice, cinnamon sticks, orange peel and
- ginger in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours
- or until rhubarb is tender.
- Stir in strawberries; cover and cook 15 minutes longer or until
- heated through. Discard cinnamon sticks. Serve with ice cream.
- Yield: 4-1/2 cups.
Nutrition Facts: 1/4 cup (calculated without ice cream) equals 60 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 2 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, trace protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1 fruit.