“I'm a 14 year-old with Celiac Disease. It's hard to find desserts I can eat, so I created this healthy and gluten-free recipe,” says Mikhala Stutzman of Granger, Iowa. “Splenda adds sweetness without calories in this great, low-calorie dessert anyone can enjoy!”
4 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons brown rice flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup gluten-free cornflakes, crushed
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cold reduced-fat butter
- In a small bowl, combine the rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, 1
- tablespoon rice flour and cinnamon. Transfer to a 3-cup baking dish
- coated with cooking spray.
- In another bowl, combine the remaining rice flour, cornflakes, brown
- sugar and vanilla; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse
- crumbs. Sprinkle over fruit mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until filling is bubbly and
- topping is golden brown. Cool for 15 minutes before serving. Yield:
- 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1/2 cup equals 253 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 72 mg sodium, 58 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein.