Starring fresh-from-the-patch berries, this ruby-red pie comes from Barbara Budlow Schneider, whose recipe appears in their family cookbook, pens Linda Skiles of Lyons, Wisconsin.
6-8 ServingsPrep: 45 min. + chilling
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 package (3 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, halved
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- Whipped topping, optional
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar and cornstarch. Stir in water until
- smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from
- the heat. Add the gelatin and lemon juice; stir until dissolved.
- Allow to cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes. Add
- strawberries and stir gently to coat. Spoon into pastry shell. Chill
- until set, about 3 hours. Serve with whipped topping if desired.
- Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 306 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 125 mg sodium, 60 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.