Strawberry Glaze Pie
"WE STILL GO OUT to the strawberry farms to pick our own berries for this pie, and a delicious one it is!
"This pie was a family favorite while I was growing up, and it has become the same with my own family, which is nearly all grown.
"Strawberries are one of my favorite fruits, and when they're in season, you can bet this is a treat we have often!"
6-8 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 6 cups fresh whole strawberries, hulled, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup water
- Few drops red food coloring, optional
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- Whipped cream
- Mash 1 cup strawberries; set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; stir in water and mashed
- berries. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Stir in food coloring
- if desired. Cook and stir 3 minutes more. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Spread about 1/3 cup glaze over bottom and sides of pie shell. Halve
- remaining strawberries; arrange in shell. Spoon remaining glaze over
- berries. Chill for 1-2 hours. Just before serving, garnish with
- whipped cream. Pie is best served the day it's made. Yield: 6-8
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 261 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 102 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a