Strawberry Biscuit Shortcake
IT SEEMS Mom was always making biscuits. She served them plain for breakfast and dinner, especially when we had stew or baked beans.
My favorite was when she served them like thistopped with fresh strawberries and whipped cream! Elaine Gagnon
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 4 tablespoons 2% milk, divided
- Fresh strawberries and whipped cream
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt;
- cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in 3
- tablespoons milk until a thick batter forms.
- Drop four mounds of batter onto a greased baking sheet. Brush with
- remaining milk.
- Bake at 375° for 14-16 minutes or until golden brown. Layer
- biscuits with berries and whipped cream in small bowls or on dessert
- plates. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 284 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 313 mg sodium, 50 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.