Strawberry Angel Dessert
Back when we lived on our farm, I made this recipe often during corn-shelling time. The corn shellers were good eaters, and filling those men up sure kept me busy! This light, cool dessert was always a tremendous way to top off a big hot meal.
9 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen sliced strawberries, thawed
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 5 cups angel food cake cubes
- Fresh strawberries, optional
- Fresh mint, optional
- In a saucepan, combine gelatin and cold water; let stand for 5
- minutes to soften. Heat and stir over low heat just until gelatin
- dissolves. Remove from the heat; add sugar. Stir until dissolved.
- Stir in undrained strawberries. Chill until partially thickened.
- Fold in whipped topping. Place cake cubes in a large bowl; pour
- strawberry mixture over cake and gently stir. Pour into an ungreased
- 8-in. square dish. Chill until firm. Garnish with fresh strawberries
- and mint if desired. Yield: 9 servings.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.