- cooking spray; line with waxed paper. Spray the paper with cooking
- spray and dust with flour; set aside. Sift the flour, cocoa, baking
- soda and salt together three times.
- Beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat
- in sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until stiff glossy
- peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Combine coffee and extracts. Fold
- dry ingredients into egg mixture alternately with coffee mixture.
- Spread into prepared pans. Bake at 375° for 10-15 minutes or
- until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for
- 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Gently peel off
- waxed paper. Cool completely.
- In a bowl, gently mash the strawberries; stir in almond extract. Fold
- in whipped topping. Place one cake layer on a serving platter; top
- with half of the filling. Repeat layers. Top with remaining cake
- In a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Combine
- confectioners' sugar and cocoa; add to cream. Beat until stiff peaks
- form. Frost top of cake. Garnish with almonds and strawberries.
- Chill for at least 1 hour before cutting. Refrigerate leftovers.
- Yield: 12 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 piece equals 271 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 254 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.