Stovetop Orzo Medley
A burst of butter and a colorful array of vegetables make this pretty pasta side good enough for company. Use a blend of exotic mushrooms to make it extra special. —Marie Rizzio, Interlochen, Michigan
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/4 cups uncooked orzo pasta
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 pound fresh snow peas
- 1/2 pound assorted fresh mushrooms (such as portobello, button and/orshiitake), thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- Cook orzo according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large
- skillet, saute shallots in oil for 2 minutes. Add peas and
- mushrooms; cook 3 minutes longer. Add pine nuts; cook and stir until
- vegetables are tender.
- Drain orzo; stir in the shallot mixture, butter, salt and pepper
- until blended. Sprinkle with red pepper. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 3/4 cup equals 203 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 322 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.