Stove-Top Macaroni and Cheese
"MAMA used Texas Longhorn cheese in this recipe. When the cheese melted, it covered all the macaroni. I loved to dig in and see how many strings of cheese would follow my spoonful."
4-6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 package (7 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Paprika, optional
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a medium
- saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt and
- pepper; cook until bubbly. Gradually add milk; cook and stir until
- thickened. Stir in cheese until melted. Drain macaroni; add to
- cheese sauce and stir to coat. Sprinkle with paprika if desired.
- Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 388 calories, 22 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 72 mg cholesterol, 542 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 16 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.