Stewed Beef with Rice
“When you come in cold and shivery from outside, count on this wonderful stew to warm you through,” says Donna Cline in Pensacola, Florida. “The tangy flavor is a nice change from traditional beef stew.”
Tip: It's easiest to slice the flank steak while it's still almost frozen, Donna advises.
2 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 beef flank steak (3/4 pound), cut into small pieces
- 2/3 cup tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Dash pepper
- 2 tablespoons sliced pimiento-stuffed olives
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add
- beef; saute 2-3 minutes longer.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, vinegar, oregano and pepper. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until meat
- is tender and sauce is thickened. Stir in olives. Serve with rice.
- Yield: 2 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 3/4 cup beef mixture with 1 cup rice equals 564 calories, 22 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 72 mg cholesterol, 630 mg sodium, 54 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 35 g protein.