Steamed Hawaiian Bread
This unique steaming method produces a moist and flavorful loaf of bread without overheating your kitchen. You’ll love the mild sweetness of banana and coconut. Roxanne Chan - Albany, CA
6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 45 min. + standing
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup ground almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup flaked coconut
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons mashed ripe banana
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut extract
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Combine the
- coconut milk, honey, banana and extract; stir into dry ingredients
- just until moistened. Pour into a 2-cup stoneware dish or bowl
- coated with cooking spray; cover with foil.
- Place on a rack in a deep kettle; add 1 in. of hot water to kettle.
- Bring to a gentle boil; cover and steam for 45-50 minutes or until a
- toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean, adding more
- water as needed.
- Remove dish from kettle; let stand for 15 minutes before removing
- bread from dish. Yield: 1 loaf (6 wedges).
Nutrition Facts: 1 wedge equals 197 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 132 mg sodium,