Steak and Onions
Sweet caramelized onions add great flavor to these rosemary-rubbed steaks. Serve them with baked potatoes and a Caesar salad. Or complement the entree with cooked carrot sticks and apple pie a la mode.
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 beef tenderloin steaks (1-1/2 to 2 inches thick and 8 ounces each)
- In a large skillet, cook onion in butter over medium heat for 15-20
- minutes or until onion is golden brown, stirring frequently. Stir in
- wine and garlic. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered,
- for 3-4 minutes or until liquid has evaporated.
- Meanwhile, combine the rosemary, salt and pepper; rub over steaks.
- Broil 4 in. from the heat for 7-9 minutes on each side or until meat
- reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should
- read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Serve with
- caramelized onions. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving equals 495 calories, 25 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 129 mg cholesterol, 381 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 50 g protein.