Celebrate Independence Day with this patriotic treat dreamed up by our home economists. Star-shaped corn muffins are terrific when topped with ice cream and colorful berries.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 2 cups halved fresh strawberries
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries, thawed
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 5 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Vanilla ice cream
- Prepare corn bread batter according to package directions. Fill six
- greased star-shaped cups or muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at
- 350° for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the
- center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the strawberries and blueberries;
- sprinkle with sugar and gently toss to coat.
- Cool shortcakes for 10 minutes before carefully removing from pan to
- a wire rack. Drizzle vinegar over berries; toss to coat. Top each
- shortcake with a scoop of ice cream and berry mixture. Yield: 6
Editor's Note: Star-shaped muffin pans are available from Wilton Industries, Inc. Call 1-800/794-5866 or visit www.quickcooking.com for a web site link.
Nutrition Facts: 1 shortcake with 1/3 cup fruit (calculated without ice cream) equals 267 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 45 mg cholesterol, 355 mg sodium,