St. Patrick's Day Popcorn
Everyone's eyes will be smilin' when they see this candy corn with an Irish twist. "The green color gives the snack instant holiday appeal," nods Karen Weber of Salem, Missouri.
24 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + cooling
- 4 quarts popped popcorn
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 8 to 10 drops green food coloring
- Place popcorn in a large roasting pan; keep warm in a 250° oven.
- Meanwhile, in a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugars, water,
- corn syrup, vinegar and salt. Cook and stir over medium heat until
- mixture comes to a boil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until a candy
- thermometer reads 260° (hard-ball stage).
- Remove from the heat; stir in butter until melted. Stir in food
- coloring. Drizzle over warm popcorn and toss to coat. Cool. Break
- into pieces. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 6 quarts.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 139 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 138 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.