Squash and Bean Saute
We like to include meatless dishes in our diet. This nicely seasoned vegetable medley is easy to prepare and really delicious. Sometimes we even enjoy it as a main entree. Ellie Vorous of Seaford, Delaware
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1 pound small yellow summer squash, sliced
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 large plum tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute the onion, garlic and seasonings
- in oil until onion is tender. Add the beans, squash and water; bring
- to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until
- just tender. Add tomatoes and parsley; cover and simmer 5 minutes
- longer or until vegetables are tender. Serve with a slotted spoon.
- Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 76 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 398 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.