These pretty vegetable ribbons will dress up your dinner plate. The combination of summer squash and zucchini, shared by our home economists, is steamed and well seasoned for a healthy side.
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 small yellow summer squash
- 1 small zucchini
- 3 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- With a vegetable peeler or metal cheese slicer, cut very thin slices
- down the length of each squash, making long ribbons. Place in a
- steamer basket; place in a saucepan over 1 in. of boiling water.
- Cover and steam for 2-3 minutes or until tender.
- In a small bowl, combine the butter, onion powder, rosemary, salt,
- thyme and pepper. Add squash and toss to coat. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 3/4 cup (prepared with reduced-fat butter) equals 55 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 187 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.