All of my family loves vegetables, and in the summer when squash is plentiful, I serve this dish frequently. It is truly my husband's favorite and can serve as a complete dinner for him.
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- 1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup uncooked instant rice
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, thinly sliced
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Drain tomatoes, reserving 1/4 cup juice; set aside. In a greased
- 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer the zucchini, onion and rice; dot
- with 1 tablespoon butter. Top with squash and tomatoes.
- In a small bowl, combine the garlic salt, pepper and reserved juice;
- pour over tomatoes. Dot with remaining butter.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Uncover; sprinkle with cheeses. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until
- cheese is melted. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving equals 165 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 508 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber,