Squash Pie Dessert
"I adapted this dessert from a pumpkin pie recipe used in my high school home economics class," says field editor Joyce Jackson, Bridgetown, Nova Scotia.
6-8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 1-1/4 cups mashed cooked winter squash
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- Whipped cream, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Stir in milk.
- Pour into pie shell.
- Bake at 450° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake for
- 50-55 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes
- out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Serve with whipped cream if desired.
- Yield: 6-8 servings.