“We don’t like rice, so I created this yummy stuffed pepper recipe using fresh potatoes from my garden,” relates Joyce Jandera of Hanover, Kansas.
2 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 2 medium green peppers
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium potato, peeled and grated
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds. In a large saucepan, cook
- peppers in boiling water for 4-5 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold
- water; invert on paper towels.
- In a nonstick skillet, cook beef and potato over medium heat until
- meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the chili powder, salt and
- pepper. Spoon into peppers.
- Place in a small baking pan coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake
- at 350° for 35 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered,
- 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 stuffed pepper equals 332 calories, 12 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 66 mg cholesterol, 487 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 29 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1 fat.