“Crunchy chestnuts and earthy thyme stand up beautifully to tasty brussels sprouts.” They're buttery and delicious, and go great with just about any chicken dish. Agnes Ward - Stratford, Ontario
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound fresh brussels sprouts, halved
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Place the brussels sprouts, water and bouillon in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or
- until tender. Drain.
- Stir in the water chestnuts, butter, seasonings and sugar; cook and
- stir over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until butter is melted and
- water chestnuts are heated through. Stir in lemon juice. Yield: 6
Nutrition Facts: 2/3 cup equals 87 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 193 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat.