While working as a sorority house mother, Sharon Helmick of Colfax, Washington occasionally filled in for the cook. “The girls really liked low-fat dishes like this attractive medley,” Sharon notes.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, saute onion and carrot in butter until
- crisp-tender. Stir in the barley; cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir
- in 1 cup broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir until
- liquid is absorbed.
- Add asparagus. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until barley is tender and
- liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally and adding more broth as
- needed. Stir in marjoram and pepper; sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 4
Nutrition Facts: 3/4 cup equals 226 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 396 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 9 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable,