Split Pea and Ham Soup
Not a winter goes by that I don't fix at least one batch of this traditional pea soup. It's a hot and hearty meal that really warms up my family.
10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 2 hours 35 min.
- 1 pound dried green split peas (2 cups)
- 7 cups water
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup diced peeled potato
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, bring the peas, water and oil to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours, stirring
- occasionally. Add the next eight ingredients; cover and simmer for
- 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in parsley. Yield:
- 10 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
Nutrition Facts: One 1-cup serving (prepared with low-fat ham and without salt) equals 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable; also, 205 calories, 389 mg sodium, 12 mg cholesterol, 32 gm carbohydrate, 16 gm protein, 2 gm fat.