Split Pea Soup Mix
"My mother sent me some of this pretty dry blend along with the recipe," comments Susan Ruckert of Tangent, Oregon. "This hearty soup is thick with lentils, barley and peas, and chicken is a nice change from the usual ham."
52 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried green split peas
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried yellow split peas
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried lentils, rinsed
- 1 package (16 ounces) medium pearl barley
- 1 package (12 ounces) alphabet pasta
- 1 jar (1/2 ounce) dried celery flakes
- 1/2 cup dried parsley flakes
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cubed cooked chicken, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients and place in
- airtight containers, or divide the first seven ingredients equally
- among 13 plastic bags. Store in a cool dry place for up to 1
- year.Yield: 13 batches (13 cups total).
- To prepare soup: In a large saucepan, combine 1 cup soup mix, broth,
- pepper and chicken if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover
- and simmer for 60-70 minutes or until peas and lentils are tender.
- Yield: about 4 servings per batch.
Nutrition Facts:Nutritional Analysis: One 1-cup serving (prepared with chicken and low-sodium broth) equals 158 calories, 117 mg sodium, 7 gm cholesterol, 26 gm carbohydrate, 11 gm protein,