“The meaty texture of portobello mushrooms will make you think you're eating steak,” says Diane Lombardo of New Castle, Pennsylvania. “With a cheesy spinach filling, this is a marvelous main dish. Pepper flakes add color and a kick.”
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 large portobello mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 3 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons grated Romano cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Remove and discard stems and gills from mushrooms. In a large skillet
- over medium heat, cook mushrooms in oil for 10-15 minutes or just
- until tender, turning once.
- In a small bowl, combine the tomatoes, spinach, onions, Romano
- cheese, pepper flakes and salt. Spoon into mushroom caps. Sprinkle
- with mozzarella cheese.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with heavy-duty foil. Bake at 375°
- for 10-15 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.
- Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 stuffed mushroom equals 177 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 381 mg sodium,