Appetizers are the highlight of parties at our home. Slices of this golden loaf swirled with spinach and cheese disappear in a hurry. They're a tasty accompaniment to most any meal, too.
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + rising Bake: 25 min.
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar or part-skim mozzarella
- Thaw bread dough according to package directions; let rise until
- doubled. Meanwhile, in a skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil
- until tender. Stir in spinach.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 14-in. x 10-in.
- rectangle. Spread the spinach mixture to within 1/2 in. of edges;
- sprinkle with cheese. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long
- side; pinch seam to seal. Place seam side down on a baking sheet
- coated with cooking spray; tuck ends under.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from
- pan to a wire rack; let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve
- warm. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (2 slices) equals 340 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 687 mg sodium,