Spinach Steak Pinwheels
Bacon and spinach bring plenty of flavor to these sirloin spirals from Helen Vail. "It's an easy dish to make and great to grill at a backyard cookout," relates the Glenside, Pennsylvania cook. "I get lots of compliments on it."
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds beef top sirloin steak
- 8 bacon strips, cooked and drained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Make diagonal cuts in steak at 1-in. intervals to within 1/2 in. of
- bottom of meat. Repeat cuts in opposite direction. Pound to 1/2 in.
- thickness. Place bacon down the center of the meat.
- In a large bowl, combine the spinach, Parmesan cheese, salt and
- cayenne; spoon over bacon. Roll up and secure with toothpicks. Cut
- into six slices.
- Grill, uncovered, over medium heat for 6 minutes on each side or
- until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat
- thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done,
- 170°). Discard toothpicks. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 218 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 73 mg cholesterol, 475 mg sodium, 2 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 27 g protein.