"My mother and I get recipe ideas from watching TV cooking shows and looking through magazines, then substitute ingredients we prefer," says Amy Brosman of Kansas City, Missouri. "That's how we created this tasty and colorful side dish," And at 30¢ a serving, it's a bargain, too.
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2-1/4 cups water
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add the spinach,
- rice and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for
- 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender and water is absorbed. Stir in
- the tomatoes, salt and pepper; heat through. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 182 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 435 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein.