Spinach & Shells Soup
I played around with this recipe for 15 years before I got it just right! Served with toasted garlic bread, it makes a wonderful wintertime lunch.Joyce Toney, Peoria, Arizona
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 cup uncooked small pasta shells
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, combine the broth, tomatoes, pasta, bouillon and
- garlic. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-7
- minutes or until pasta is almost tender.
- Stir in the beans, spinach, basil, oregano and pepper; cover and
- simmer for 10 minutes or until heated through and pasta is tender.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1-1/4 cups equals 221 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 906 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber,