Spicy Zucchini Quesadillas
My family loves Mexican food, so I created this easy recipe one summer when our garden was bursting with zucchini. For milder quesadillas, use Monterey Jack instead of pepper Jack cheese. If you want them spicier, add some red pepper flakes or chopped jalapenos.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 teaspoon plus 2 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 8 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- 8 ounces pepper Jack cheese, shredded
- Salsa, sour cream and pickled jalapeno pepper slices
- In a large skillet, saute onion and red pepper in 1 teaspoon butter
- for 3 minutes. Stir in zucchini and taco seasoning; saute 3-4
- minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Remove from the heat.
- Spread remaining butter over one side of each tortilla. Place
- tortillas butter side down on a griddle. Sprinkle about 1/4 cup
- cheese and 1/4 cup zucchini mixture over half of each tortilla; fold
- Cook over low heat for 1-2 minutes on each side or until cheese is
- melted. Serve with salsa, sour cream and jalapenos. Yield: 4
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 614 calories, 31 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 78 mg cholesterol, 1,321 mg sodium,