Spicy Sausage and Pasta
I had to ask a former neighbor for this recipe after smelling the aroma of it cooking one day. It's simple and delicious, and I'm glad I got the recipe.May Murphy, Fayetteville, Pennsylvania
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 pound turkey Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 large green pepper,chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) reduced-fat sour cream
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Crumble sausage into a
- large nonstick skillet. Add green pepper and onion. Cook over medium
- heat until meat is no longer pink. Stir in the tomatoes, sugar and
- chili powder.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes,
- stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low. Stir in the sour cream
- until blended. Drain macaroni; add to skillet. Cook and stir until
- heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (1 cup) equals 304 calories, 13 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 65 mg cholesterol, 683 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 20 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.