Spicy Mango Scallops
This sweet and spicy seafood combo gives off enough heat to make the whole family warm up to its great flavors! Be sure to buy the larger sea scallops for this recipe; cooking times would be off for the smaller bay scallops. —Nicole Filizetti, Jacksonville, Florida
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 12 sea scallops (1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup mango chutney
- 2 cups hot cooked basmati rice
- Minced fresh cilantro
- In a large skillet, saute scallops in oil for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes on
- each side or until firm and opaque. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, saute onion until tender. Add garlic and pepper
- flakes; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in pineapple juice. Bring to a
- boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half. Remove from the heat.
- Add chutney and scallops; stir to coat. Serve with rice; drizzle
- with sauce. Sprinkle with cilantro. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 3 scallops with 1/2 cup cooked rice and 2 tablespoons sauce equals 371 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 447 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 31 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 3 starch, 1/2 fat.