Spicy Beans and Rice
"I make this for a quick meal when we are in a hurry, but I still want to feed my family something nutritious and yummy!" relates Janesville, Wisconsin contributor, Sandra Castillo.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Dash pepper
- 1 can (16 ounces) chili beans, undrained
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, drained
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a 2-qt. microwave-safe dish, combine the first six ingredients;
- cover and microwave on high for 5-7 minutes or until water is
- Stir in the beans, Mexicorn, tomatoes and salsa; top with cheese.
- Cover and microwave on high 2-3 minutes longer or until heated
- through and cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 cup equals 294 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 905 mg sodium, 53 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 13 g protein.