Spiced Rhubarb Pork Chops
My husband and I own a small restaurant in the middle of Amish country. Our menu often features recipes using rhubarb from our garden. This savory pork dish is a favorite. Connie Hamilton, Hazelton, Iowa
4 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh rhubarb (1/2-inch pieces)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Red food coloring, optional
- 4 bone-in pork loin chops (3/4 inch thick)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a saucepan, combine the rhubarb, broth, sugar and honey; cook over
- medium heat until rhubarb is tender. Stir in the cinnamon, ginger,
- nutmeg and food coloring if desired.
- In a large skillet, brown pork chops in oil. Sprinkle with salt and
- pepper. Pour rhubarb mixture over the chops. Cover and simmer for
- 35-40 minutes or until meat juices run clear, turning once. Yield: 4
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 288 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 86 mg cholesterol, 181 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 31 g protein.