Spiced Pineapple Ham
A friend wanted a recipe for spiced pineapple but couldn't find one. So the two of us combined several recipes to come up with this sweet sauce. It's excellent served with ham. Betty Claycomb of Alverton, Pennsylvania
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 cup unsweetened pineapple tidbits, drained
- 6 boneless fully cooked ham steaks (4 ounces each)
- In a saucepan, bring pineapple juice, cloves and cinnamon stick to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Strain juice,
- discarding cloves and cinnamon. Return juice to the pan.
- In a bowl, combine brown sugar and cornstarch; stir in vinegar until
- smooth. Stir into pineapple juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir
- for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in pineapple; heat through.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook ham steaks until browned and heated
- through. Serve with the pineapple sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (1 each) equals 185 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 58 mg cholesterol, 1,180 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 21 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 fruit.