Spiced Pear Jam
Years ago, my in-laws had three pear trees on their acreage and gave us all the fruit that we wanted to pick. So I canned plenty of pears. Then a neighbor passed along this favorite recipe.
I've given many jars of this jam as gifts. Day to day, my husband and our boyswe have a married son and two teenagersenjoy it on toast with ham and eggs or on hot rolls with a meat.
48 ServingsPrep: 1 hour 40 min. Process: 10 min.
- 8 cups chopped or coarsely ground peeled pears (about 5-1/2 pounds)
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Combine all ingredients in a Dutch oven. Simmer, uncovered, for 1-1/2
- to 2 hours or until thick, stirring occasionally. Stir more
- frequently as the mixture thickens.
- Remove from the heat; skim off foam. Carefully ladle into hot
- half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles; wipe
- rims and adjust lids. Process for 10 minutes in a boiling-water
- canner. Yield: 6 half-pints.
Editor's Note: This recipe does not require pectin.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 81 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, trace sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, trace protein.