Spiced Mulled Wine
You’ll want to heat this traditional beverage before company arrives. Your home will have the scent of Christmas!
7 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 2 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 8 whole allspice
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 bottle (750 ml) ruby port
- 1 bottle (750 ml) merlot
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 orange peel strips (1 to 3 inches)
- Place the cinnamon sticks, allspice and cloves on a double thickness
- of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to
- form a bag.
- In a large saucepan, combine the wine, sugar and orange peel. Add
- spice bag. Bring just to a simmer (do not boil). Reduce heat; simmer
- gently, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until flavors are blended.
- Strain; discard orange peel and spice bag. Serve warm in mugs. Yield:
- 7 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 2/3 cup equals 317 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 14 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, trace protein.