Spiced Hot Fruit
Irene Howard of Shanandoah, Iowa shares her recipe for a crowd-pleasing compote that takes advantage of convenient canned fruit. Its sweet, buttery sauce, spiced with ginger and cinnamon, makes a warm and wonderful addition to any breakfast buffet.
20 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 cans (one 20 ounces, one 8 ounces) DOLE® Pineapple Chunks in 100% Pineapple Juice
- 2 cans (15-1/4 ounces each) apricots, drained and quartered
- 1 can (29 ounces) sliced peaches, drained
- 1 can (29 ounces) pear halves, drained and quartered
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice. In an ungreased shallow 3-1/2-qt.
- baking dish, combine the pineapple, apricots, peaches and pears; set
- aside. In a saucepan, combine brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, ginger
- and reserved pineapple juice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer
- for 5 minutes. Discard cinnamon sticks. Pour over fruit.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through.
- Serve warm. Yield: 10 cups.
Nutrition Facts: 1/2 cup equals 165 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 35 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fruit, 1/2 fat.