Spiced Baked Apples
I LOVE harvesttime and being able to cook with all the fresh produce gathered from gardens and groves.
Since there's so much of everything, I try to be creative by enhancing old recipes with slight variations. That's what happened with these baked apples. The spices and touch of orange make the flavor just perfect!
2 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min. + standing
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 large baking apples
- Combine raisins, nuts and orange peel; set aside. In a saucepan,
- bring brown sugar, water, butter, cinnamon and nutmeg to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Core apples and place in an ungreased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish; fill
- with raisin mixture. Pour sugar mixture over and around apples.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until apples are
- tender. Let stand 15 minutes before serving. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 369 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 70 mg sodium, 71 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 3 g protein.