Spiced Apple-Carrot Casserole
Fresh carrots and crisp apples combine for wonderful flavor in this unusual casserole with sugar-and-spice goodness. What a nice addition to a special meal!Barbara Waltz, Cinnaminson, New Jersey
6-8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 medium apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Place 1 in. of water in a saucepan; add carrots. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 7-9 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Drain. In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, ginger and nutmeg.
- In a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish, layer half of the apples and
- carrots. Sprinkle with half of the brown sugar mixture. Repeat
- layers. Dot with butter.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until apples are
- crisp-tender and carrots are tender. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 56 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 26 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, trace protein.