Spiced Acorn Squash
"Working full-time, I found I didn't always have time to cook the meals my family loved. So I re-created many of our favorites in the slow cooker," notes Carol Greco of Centereach, New York. "This cinnamony treatment for squash is one of them."
4 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 small acorn squash, halved and seeded
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup water
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg; spoon
- into squash halves. Sprinkle with raisins. Top each with 1
- tablespoon of butter. Wrap each squash half individually in
- heavy-duty foil; seal tightly.
- Pour water into a 5-qt. slow cooker. Place the squash, cut side up,
- in slow cooker (packets may be stacked). Cover and cook on high for
- 4 hours or until the squash is tender. Open foil packets carefully
- to allow steam to escape. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 433 calories, 12 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 142 mg sodium, 86 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 3 g protein.