- racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, combine the sugar, egg whites, water, corn syrup and
- salt in a large heavy saucepan over low heat or double boiler over
- simmering water. With a portable mixer, beat on low speed for 1
- minute. Continue beating on low over low heat until frosting reaches
- 160°, about 8-10 minutes. Pour into the bowl of a heavy-duty
- stand mixer; add vanilla. Beat on high until stiff peaks form, about
- 7 minutes. Spread frosting between layers and over the top and sides
- of cake. Do not seal cake tightly when storing. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 406 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 57 mg cholesterol, 236 mg sodium, 79 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.