Spanish-Style Breakfast Bake
Where I live in Texas, there are a lot of Mexican and Spanish influences in the local cooking. This interesting combination of rice, chili sauce, eggs and green peppers really adds some punch to your breakfast.
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 4 cups cooked long grain rice
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 12 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled, divided
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup bottled chili sauce
- 12 eggs
- 12 thinly sliced green pepper rings
- In a large bowl, combine the rice, 1-1/2 cups cheese, 1/2 cup bacon,
- tomato sauce and chili sauce. Pat firmly into a greased 13-in. x
- 9-in. baking dish.
- Using the back of a spoon, make twelve 2-in. wells in the rice
- mixture. Cover and bake at 350° for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven; break an egg into each well. Press a green
- pepper ring around each egg.
- Cover and bake for another 30-35 minutes or until eggs reach desired
- doneness. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bacon; cover and let
- stand 5-10 minutes or until cheese melts. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 268 calories, 14 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 238 mg cholesterol, 594 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 14 g protein.