Spanish Rice with Sausage
"When I want to add a little more zip to this hearty entree, I use hot salsa," writes Grace Riele of Addison, Illinois.
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1-1/4 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 cup chili sauce or salsa
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- In a skillet, cook sausage, onion and celery over medium heat until
- meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Add
- tomatoes, water rice and chili sauce. Cover and cook over low heat
- for 30 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove from the heat.
- Sprinkle with cheese; cover and let stand for 5 minutes or until
- cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 679 calories, 33 g fat (17 g saturated fat), 86 mg cholesterol, 1,463 mg sodium, 71 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 23 g protein.