Spanish Rice Dish
The bacon adds tremendous flavor to this spicy dish. I learned this tip from a friend while living in New Mexico. It's great served with any Mexican meal, or as a side dish with hamburgers or chicken.
12-14 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (10 ounces) tomatoes with green chilies with liquid, diced or 1 can (8 ounces) tomatoes with liquid, diced
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon until crisp. Drain fat. Add all remaining
- ingredients. Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer,
- uncovered, over medium-low heat, until rice is tender, about 35-40
- minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent scorching. Yield: 12-14
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 148 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 462 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.