"I received this recipe from a good friend who is a fabulous cook," remarks Donna Brockett of Kingfisher, Oklahoma. The colorful side dish gets its zesty flavor from spicy canned tomatoes with green chilies.
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 4 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) hominy, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3/4 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the hominy, tomatoes and tomato
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp; remove with a slotted
- spoon to paper towels. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings.
- In the same skillet, saute onion and green pepper in drippings until
- tender. Stir onion mixture and bacon into hominy mixture. Cover and
- cook on low for 6-8 hours or until heated through. Yield: 12
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 93 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 530 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.