This hearty Italian-style recipe proved very popular when I made it for about 90 people who attended our church's "Souper Sunday" one January. I fired up a couple of turkey deep fryers and simmered big batches of it outside!
45-55 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 6 large onions, chopped
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 18 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cans (28 ounces each) Italian crushed tomatoes
- 3 cartons (32 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup dried oregano
- 4 tablespoons salt
- 1 to 2 teaspoons pepper
- 3 packages (1 pound each) spaghetti, cut into fourths
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In several stockpots, saute onions in oil until tender. Add garlic;
- cook and 1 minute longer. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, broth,
- oregano, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and
- simmer for 30-35 minutes.
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions; drain. Just before
- serving the soup, stir in spaghetti. Serve with cheese if desired.
- Yield: 45-55 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 76 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 640 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.